Promoting observation, free range exploration, sense of place and citizen science, through the field notes of a naturalist.







Saturday 23 April 2022

Two days at The British (upper and lower)

Sunday 10 April - Upper

Acid grassland with yellow meadow ant mounds and scrambler bike damage in background.


I was out early to beat the bikers and to hopefully pick up on some of those Spring migrants. Taking the footpath on the western fringes of the enlclosed grassland towards Big Pond the morning was bright and sunny. A fieldfare type call soon alerted me to the presence of a male ring ouzel. Emerging from the shadow of a large beech tree the birds white cresent plumage could be seen prominent and eye catching against the strong morning sunlight. As I moved closer the bird guilded to the comfort of a nearby tree giving continued good views. 

Satisfied that I'd connected with a very notable passage bird I moved on to Big Pond. Here the damage to the hillside from continuous scrambler bike activity stopped me in my tracks. The extent of this damage is shocking, with those involved clearly having no regard for the environment or the farming community thats seeking to earn a living from this land. But even more disheartening is the inability of the Police to counter this illegal activity. 


Male Ring Ouzel


Friday 15 April - Lower


Male Redstart

The lower part of The British is well known for its Big Arch enterance feature and its disused buildings with a steep moulded backdrop of gorse covered coal spoil. The day before had been notable for an influx of Spring migrants so I was hopefully this visit would produce a similar result. 

The morning was still, with little breeze so ideal for picking out bird song. The first clear song was that of the chiffchaff. These birds have been around for a few weeks now so most will no doubt be singing from there chosen breeding territories. And then my first willow warbler could be heard singing from an area of gorse scrub. As I walked around the ampitheater type setting of this lower part of The British I could hear more willow warbler - three maybe four singing in unison.

I knew the now ramshackled National Coal Borad (NCB) building with its maturing self seeded trees had supported a breeding pair of redstart in the past, so through the hum of my tinnitus I listened carefully and sure enough a male was signing proudly from the environs of this crumbing building.

Not too much on offer from a botanical perspective but a dead elder complete with jelly ear fungus at the top of a tip proved a challenge to access, but I managed it with a few odd stumbles. Here it was also pleasing to find a mature specimen of wild privet. So all in all a reasonable Good Friday.




Dead elder with jelly ear fungus










 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...