Promoting observation, free range exploration, sense of place and citizen science, through the field notes of a naturalist.







Wednesday 18 May 2016

BBS - first leg



In panoramic view of the mist laden agricultural lowlands of Monmouthshire the Foxhunter car park at 6.30am on a Sunday morning was populated by a couple of camper vans and a car that may have had a back seat sleeper. I volunteered to append a second Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) square to my long standing existing square on Mynydd y Garn Fawr so was prepared for an extended transect walk. 


The majority of my double square is dominated by Calluna vulgaris thereby limiting the avian composition. And so it was. Approaching the end of my transects the species tally was just skylark, meadow pipit, three calling red grouse and a fly over carrion crow. As I was about to wrap up some salvation came in the form of a male wheatear, a swallow and a distant cuckoo, albeit outside of my square.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...