Promoting observation, free range exploration, sense of place and citizen science, through the field notes of a naturalist.







Saturday 25 August 2012

Its raining rings......






In the rain at Tredegar House Lake Newport yesterday, were a moderate number of gulls mainly black headed. To my surprise I picked up one with a colour ring feeding on the manicured lawns, but before I could organise my camera it was disturbed by a rampaging dog. A quick about turn to Asda for a loaf of budget bread had me back on site in 15 minutes and whilst most visitors fed the family of mute swan, I chose the gulls, much to the bewilderment of those present. But from the above you can see it paid dividends with a colour ringed first year lesser black backed probably from Bristol or Cardiff, a coloured ringed black headed gull and another with just a metal ring, gawd dam it!!! I'll bring you news of their origin in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...