Promoting observation, free range exploration, sense of place and citizen science, through the field notes of a naturalist.







Tuesday 23 October 2012

More rings than a body piercers stock cupboard



Another trip to Newport Riverfront last Sunday with the objective of scattering some bread and attracting some gulls with those lovely colour rings. Despite drawing 50+ black headed gull and small numbers of herring and lesser black backed gulls none were dressed for the occasion. However somewhat crest fallen I returned back to my car but not before one final check of the gulls loafing about on the edge of the receding tide. Amongst which was a single redshank and to my joy its legs were liberally covered in more rings than an Olympic flag - six to be precise.



The ring sequence goes something like this:

Left leg: Tarsi- white and yellow.
Tibia - metal and blue.

Right leg: Tibia - blue and yellow


A quick world wide web check suggests this bird was ringed in Sweden, Germany or even Spain as I don't think British ringers attach metal rings above the knee- although I'm sure some clever Dick will put me right if I'm wide of the mark.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...