Promoting observation, free range exploration, sense of place and citizen science, through the field notes of a naturalist.







Tuesday 3 December 2013

Wild cabbage (Brassica oleracea)


A shock discovery of a photographic record of a great grey shrike from the head of the Blaenserchan Valley in early November had me out in the hope it was still around. Needless to say it wasn't so I made my way down to The British avoiding a steady stream of off roaders some pulling wheelies in defiance of oncoming vehicles.

At The British a yellow flowering plant caught my eye from a roadside pull-in popular with local fly tippers. A robust plant with green brassica type leaves had me reaching for my BSBI crucifer guide. It seems this is a specimen of wild cabbage a native yet scarce plant in the UK. A mainly coastal species the only substantial population in vice county 35 is on the walls of Chepstow Castle. But just before you get excited it seems wild cabbage is often grown in gardens and The British record surely has its origin as a domestic throw out.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...