Promoting observation, free range exploration, sense of place and citizen science, through the field notes of a naturalist.







Wednesday 2 March 2016

Unable to Finnish off!







I didn't go far beyond the Millenium Bridge in Newport's town centre last weekend as many of the riverfront's gulls were loafing on the bridges straining wires. These obliging birds made good for easy ring reading, First up was one of the long staying Lithuanian black-headed gulls. This bird that's been present for several months now, was very confiding. Conversely another ringed bird proved more of a challenge. Frustratingly I was able to determine a Finnish ring but was unable to get enough of a view to read the full number. I'm hoping the bird will still be around next week but with the breeding season fast approaching and a pending movement back north eastward I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...