Promoting observation, free range exploration, sense of place and citizen science, through the field notes of a naturalist.







Thursday 31 May 2018

Two tip trips



As usual I'm behind with my posts. This rushed communication covers the weekend before last when I made two visits to a couple of colliery spoil sites, once again in the faboulous industrial landscape of Blaenavon.


The first excursion was to the Coity Tip area, where I counted at least 111 moonwort growing on the path side around the rear of the tip. At Coity Pond a little grebe called and a coot sat tight on her nest. A pair of stonechat were rather irratated by my presence. A calcareous (tufa) speepage from the lower part of the tip requires a closer examination. This feature offers the chance of a diversity within a generally acidic environment.


Next day I made my way to Canada Tips and to my surprise I found what seems to be a predated Canada goose nest. Here too was my first dragonfly of the season in the form of a four-spotted chaser.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...