Promoting observation, free range exploration, sense of place and citizen science, through the field notes of a naturalist.







Wednesday 24 April 2019

A good Friday



First day of the Easter break and I was up nice and early to explore the lower slopes of the Blorenge. Taking the tramroad from the road to the Fiddlers Elbow I passed disused farm building that is yet another example of the local decline in the rural population. Exploring remant drystone walls and a number of unkempt hawthorn and blackthorn trees, I could just detect the song of a whinchat. Despite the bird being fairly distant I did just about capture a couple of images.

Stumbling back to the tramroad route I noted another person in a camo jacket making their approach. As he got closer I could see it was Andrew Baker from Gwent Ornithological Society, out completing a BBS visit. We talked for a while about the folly of Brexit, Climate Change and Extinction Rebellion and my forlorn propects of retiring early. Saying our farewells I continued my walk to the sound of numerous singing willow warbler and the occasional flyover linnet. Pausing to observe the extent of NRW tree felling tree pipits were noted signing from several positions. On my return a cuckoo was very vocal and a male wheatear obliged for a photograph.







1 comment:

  1. A lovely walk, you had a better selection of birds than I did a month earlier.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...