Promoting observation, free range exploration, sense of place and citizen science, through the field notes of a naturalist.







Friday 12 June 2020

Cwmavon Corridor Local Nature Reserve



Within walking distance, albeit a little further than what I've recently been used to, is Cwmavon Corridor Local Nature Reserve. A nature reserve designated by Torfaen County Borough Council that is centred on a cyclepath but flanked by ancient woodland complete with commanding views of the upper Afon Llwyd valley.

Taking a steep and winding footpath off Cwmavon Road I emerged into a woodland fresh with a recent burst of vegetation. A great spotted woodpecker called frequently as I plodded along a well trodden path, in the distance I could hear a wood warbler singing. As the path became less accessible I turned only to be confronted by a barking and growling Dobermann dog, to my relief its owner eventually emerged, somewhat surprised to see me.

After that fright I left the wood emerging onto the cyclepath that is the nature reserve. The morning was sunny and warm and the cyclists were out in force. As I walked north I was surprised to find a stand of common bistort a plant I've only found in a urban setting. Further on, the cyclepath margins were well populated with yellow pimpernel a species I often find on woodland rides. 

Passing a little flowering group of Welsh poppy I scrambled down a bank back into the woodland to rejoin the footpath that I had the previous encounter with a dog. As I approached a stile to my surprise a homemade sign came into view. No entry Covid-19 it said. The bare faced cheek of whoever thought this would stop walkers legally using this footpath. I ignored it and carried on.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...